Sanjay Sir -

Question Tags: Basic Rules English Grammar

Basic Rules of Question Tags: Affirmative & Negative Sentences

Question Tags: Basic Rules

Affirmative Sentences:

  1. If the sentence is affirmative (positive), the question tag will be negative.
Example:
She is going to the market, isn't she?

Negative Sentences:

  1. If the sentence is negative, the question tag will be positive.
Example:
He isn't coming to the party, is he?

Short Form of Auxiliary Verbs:

  1. In question tags, we use the short form of auxiliary verbs + "not" (for negative tags).
Example:
Does not → Doesn't

Use of Pronouns:

  1. In question tags, only pronouns are used, and they are always in the subjective case.
Example:
They can swim, can't they?

Question Mark:

  1. Always end the question tag with a question mark (?).

Short Forms of Auxiliary Verbs in Question Tags:

  • Do not → Don't
  • Did not → Didn't
  • Does not → Doesn't
  • Is not → Isn't
  • Am not → Aren't (for "I" only)
  • Are not → Aren't
  • Was not → Wasn't
  • Were not → Weren't
  • Has not → Hasn't
  • Have not → Haven't
  • Had not → Hadn't
  • Can not → Can't
  • Could not → Couldn't
  • May not → Mayn't
  • Might not → Mightn't
  • Shall not → Shan't
  • Will not → Won't
  • Must not → Mustn't
  • Ought not → Oughtn't
  • Need not → Needn't
  • Dare not → Daren't
  • Used not → Usedn't
  • Should not → Shouldn't
  • Would not → Wouldn't

Key Points:

  1. No Main Verb in Question Tag:
    • Never use the main verb in a question tag. Always use the auxiliary verb.
Example:
He has written a letter, hasn't he?
They don't play cricket, do they?

Examples:

Affirmative Statement:
She has finished her homework, hasn't she?
Negative Statement:
He didn't call you, did he?
With "I":
I'm your friend, aren't I?
Negative Auxiliary:
They won't leave early, will they?



Practice Questions on Question Tags

Affirmative Sentences

  1. She loves playing the piano, __________?
  2. You are coming to the party, __________?
  3. They have finished their project, __________?

Negative Sentences

  1. He doesn't like coffee, __________?
  2. They aren't attending the meeting, __________?
  3. You won't forget to call me, __________?

Short Forms of Auxiliary Verbs

  1. It is a beautiful day, __________?
  2. You can swim well, __________?
  3. She has completed her homework, __________?

Use of Pronouns

  1. John and Mary are friends, __________?
  2. The students enjoyed the lecture, __________?
  3. Your brother can drive, __________?

Mixed Sentences

  1. I am not late, __________?
  2. They will join us for dinner, __________?
  3. We shouldn't leave the door open, __________?

Examples with "I"

  1. I'm going to the store, __________?
  2. I can help you with your homework, __________?
  3. I haven't seen him today, __________?


Answer Key


Affirmative Sentences

  1. She loves playing the piano, doesn't she?
  2. You are coming to the party, aren't you?
  3. They have finished their project, haven't they?

Negative Sentences

  1. He doesn't like coffee, does he?
  2. They aren't attending the meeting, are they?
  3. You won't forget to call me, will you?

Short Forms of Auxiliary Verbs

  1. It is a beautiful day, isn't it?
  2. You can swim well, can't you?
  3. She has completed her homework, hasn't she?

Use of Pronouns

  1. John and Mary are friends, aren't they?
  2. The students enjoyed the lecture, didn't they?
  3. Your brother can drive, can't he?

Mixed Sentences

  1. I am not late, am I?
  2. They will join us for dinner, won't they?
  3. We shouldn't leave the door open, should we?

Examples with "I"

  1. I'm going to the store, aren't I?
  2. I can help you with your homework, can't I?
  3. I haven't seen him today, have I?

Post a Comment

0 Comments